In absence of the fresh tortillas that I used to get warm on my way home from work, I am going to attempt to make my own tortillas! My mom was in town for the weekend, so she was really the mastermind here.
The store brand: Mission Flaxseed and Blue Corn Blend
3 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil (or shortening)
1 cup warm water
- Mix the flour, salt, and vegetable oil together until crumbly.
- Add water and knead on floured board until smooth and elastic (about 5 minutes).
- Cover with plastic and let stand for 30 minutes to 2 hours.
- Divide into 12 equal balls and roll out to ~8" circle.
- Cook on hot griddle (no oil) about 1 minute on each side until lightly browned.
And the result? They were delicious. We let them rise for just 30 minutes while I cut up the taco toppings and they were perfect. They were so good fresh, that nobody wanted to touch the store bought version! Though the store bought was pretty good also. The next morning we made breakfast burritos, and the shells were still awesome.
What about the cost? Making your own tortillas is incredibly affordable. It's almost 4x as much to buy them! Easy choice on cost.
Bake or Buy? BAKE!