Sunday, October 30, 2011

Pumpkin

It's HALLOWEEN TIME!!!! 


Since I'm going to be going to a Halloween party anyways, I'm going to make pumpkin pie bites for comparison (I can't eat 48 of those things on my own...).  The question is, do I use the pumpkin puree from the can or bake my own pumpkin? 

OMGoodness, I'm going to probably eat all these before the party.

The store brand: Libby's Pumpkin

My recipe (for the pumpkin puree):
- Preheat oven to 450º.
- Cut pumpkin in half (harder than it sounds).
- Place cut side down in baking dish.
- Fill baking dish with ~1/2" of water.
- Bake 45 mins - 1 hr until pumpkin in soft.


- Scoop out filling and puree in food processor until smooth.


My pumpkin puree came out a little bit runny, so I drained it through a cheesecloth to thicken it to the consistency of canned puree.


So, how do they compare?  Mine is a lot lighter (I think it was the variety of pumpkin I used).  Even after straining the puree, it was thinner than the canned.  Nutrition-wise they are exactly the same - the only ingredient in the canned pumpkin is, well, just that - pumpkin.


If you want the recipe for the pumpkin pie bites, you can get it here: http://www.bakerella.com/pumpkin-pie-bites/

And the price comparison?
            Size     Cost        Cost/oz
Libby's Pumpkin15 oz $      1.95  $           0.13
Homemade4 cups  $      5.00  $           0.15

Hmm, so it actually costs more to roast your own pumpkin.  The taste was a little different - the canned pumpkin was more of a typical pumpkin taste, while mine was a little more like squash.  In the recipe, my roasted pumpkin tasted a little smoother, but the color of the canned was bright orange (great for my desserts!).




















So in the end, we have a can of bright orange pumpkin puree from a can that is pure roasted pumpkin that costs less than my pumpkin.

Bake or Buy?  BUY!

2 comments:

  1. Should there be another persuasive post you can share next time, I’ll be surely waiting for it.
    Buy facebook likes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely enjoying every little bit of it. It is a great website and nice share. I want to thank you. Good job! You guys do a great blog, and have some great contents. Keep up the good work.
    Buy Facebook Likes Cheap

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a Comment! Come on... you have something to say: